NATION-BUILDER OF THE MONTH: IFEYINWA MAUREEN OKAFOR
Ifeyinwa Maureen Okafor (I.M.O) is a first class graduate of law from the University of Bradford, UK with an MBA from the University of Lagos, Nigeria. She is an alumnus of Johnson Institute for Responsible Leadership, University of Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, USA.
She currently works as a Lagos-based industrialist, generating employment for many.
Her background experience spans Banking and Finance, Aviation and Manufacturing.
She is also a:
• Fellow, Institute of Chartered Accountants (ICAN)
• Fellow, Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSAN)
• Member, Institute of Directors (IoD)
• Member, Chartered Institute of Bankers (CIBN)
She has won several local and international awards including:
1) Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators, (ICSAN)
- Association of Professional Bodies of Nigeria (APBN) Award
- Best Graduating Student Award (Erastus Akingbola Prize)
- Best Subject Award in Corporate Financial Management
- Recipient of Oba Olashore Prize
- Recipient of Ben Nwoji Prize
2) Federal Road Safety Commission, Nigeria Essay Competition Winner
3) McDonalds Academic Award for Science, Columbus, Ohio U.S.A
4) Science Excellence Award, Wisconsin USA
- President/Founder UDODIRI Foundation: A non-governmental organization that provides leadership, mentoring and academic scholarship to the under privileged through which many youths have received scholarship.
- President, Federal Government College, Ikot Ekpene Alumni, Lagos.
- Publicity and Advocacy Officer, Federation of Business Women Entrepreneurs, Africa (Nigeria Chapter)
- Training Coordinator, National Chamber of Commerce, Industry, Mines and Agriculture Women’s Group.
- Honorary Treasurer and Member of Governing Council of Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators, ICSAN.
- Treasurer, Pulp and Paper Importers Association of Nigeria (PAPIAN)
- Faculty of Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) Training School
- Lecturer in Corporate and Business Law and Corporate Governance at ADRAC (Professional ACCA Accountancy Tutors)
WHY WE CHOSE HER
At a time when majority of Nigerians are crying out for credible leadership but yet refuse to engage the political sector, Ifeyinwa has put herself forward to contest the office of Executive Governor of Imo State under the banner of the People’s Democratic Party of Nigeria.
Does she have a political godfather? No.
Does she have millions in the bank to throw at this? No.
Does it matter that she is a woman? No.
Does she have the required experience? Yes
Ifeyinwa’s leadership ability has been honed throughout her educational and professional life. Now, she is ready to transfer that to political governance.
More than that, Ifeyinwa is persuaded that the only way we can build a developed Nigeria is for citizens with the right skills set, passion and love for this country to get involved in the sector that concerns them the most. For her, politics is that sector.
With the right core nation-building values, a growth mindset, a love for Nigeria leading to the willingness to make enormous sacrifices, Ifeyinwa is building a developed Nigeria through the political sector and with the support of other nation-builders in this sector, the transformation has begun. We also hope many others citizens (men and women) will be inspired to follow her lead.
Ifeyinwa Maureen Okafor, you are the Nation-builder for the Month of May.
If you know of a person or organisation that would qualify for this award, you may nominate by sending an email to email@example.com